Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Should I do more with this?

I had an idea for a new storyline. But didn't want to get farther into it if no one cared.


Everyone knows the guys who started it all. Humble beginnings back in New York City. I read about how things were before the first big coming. No one believed them. Called them crack pots. To those of us who came later, we call them the big three followed by the fourth.

When we started our group, I actually met them. They always come out to the newbies. I remember not believing that Venkman was the kind of guy to stand up to someone like Gozer. Seemed more like a class clown than the kind of guy to fight the supernatural. Spengler and Stanz were nice enough, mostly talked over my head though. I liked Winston. Just a regular Joe who had found himself as the protector of New York against the hordes of the paranormal.

He told me stories of their adventures. At the time, I looked forward to having my own slime punctuated exploits. Now of course I know that New York is lucky. I'd kill to only get stuck taking down some C5FRV's (Class 5 Full Roaming Vapors for the uninitiated). But my turf doesn't seem to attract that kind of spook.

Which is why, at the moment, I am running for my life through the Boston sewer. My pack is over heated. My backup is still minutes away, and somewhere in these dark sewers a C12 is stalking me in hopes of spending the next 20 years slowly digesting my corpse.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the references to what came before lending the reader a literary north. It reads well and has me curious to see where you take things from here. I get the feeling this would be a bit gritter and darker than the typical Ghost Buster storyline or movie. So, yes, I would like to see more if you're willing to shre.

Unknown said...

Someone's getting psyched about the upcoming game. Whatever happened to your Harry Potter entry?

Seems good so far. I don't know how much source material there is, if there's a lexicon or anything.

You could write some sort of Welcome pamphlet as side material.

E. Peterman said...

There's a phrase in news writing called "burying the lede." That's when a writer buries the most compelling part beneath too much scene-setting. IMO, you gotta get this part up higher somehow:

"Which is why, at the moment, I am running for my life through the Boston sewer. My pack is over heated. My backup is still minutes away, and somewhere in these dark sewers a C12 is stalking me in hopes of spending the next 20 years slowly digesting my corpse."

My mind was wandering a little until I got there.

lessthan12parsecs said...

I like...more pls :)

A darker, upper PG13 to R Ghostbusters story has much potential. The 1st movie was great, the 2nd movie...at least it had the same characters. Hopefully the game will be what the 2nd movie should have been, if not, then this story could be :)

Can't wait to read more...

T.H. Elliott said...

I liked it, need more.

ScottC said...

Yes

The Irredeemable Shag said...

Keep it up. I like the idea of a Boston franchise that deals with a different, darker brand of ghoul.

The Irredeemable Shag
http://onceuponageek.com