Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Guitar Hero 3: It Sucks...but I still love my PS3

So, I got Guitar Hero 3 for my PS3 this weekend.  I hates it.  How did they take an established franchise and ruin it?  Let us count the ways:

1) They re-designed the guitar.  Instead of being nice and smooth and rounded, the edges are square.  So, my wrist hurts from being forced on the edge all the time.  The buttons are also "mushy" and the strum bar is not real resposive.  The only improvements they made were to allow me to detach the neck for travel and adding a D-pad.  But I don't know if I care about travel, since it, you know, sucks!

2) Song selection: many of the songs are great to listen to, but dull as crud to play.  The others are fun to play but painful to listen to.  As such, I will likely only play most of them once.

3) Note Charts:  Sometimes they feel off.  I am sonetimes "playing" when I hear no guitar.  And sometimes I am not really playing what the guitar is playing...simply to either make it easier or harder.

4) Character Animation/Design: Somehow went downhill.  Through most of the song your guitarist just stands there and bops back and forth.  Star Power simply activates pretty lights.  Heck, the lead singer gets more screen time.  And the dork looks, litterally like a muppet.  Some kind of goth/metal muppet.  His mouth just seems to hinge on th eback of his head.  This is NOT ok on a next gen HD console.

5) Battle Mode...don't turn my rhythm game...which I play to try and feel like I know how to play guitar...into a video game in which I am trying to blast my opponent. Even more so, don't force me to use this mode just to progress in the game and unlock more songs!

6) I think the programmers got paid every time they had a character or picture of someone "throwing up the horns". It quits being cool after the 10th time in 10 minutes.

On the plus side...man I still love my PS3! Not love love...but I would totally hit that! Well, I guess I sould say "hit that again after the burns have healed". Damn that thing runs hot!

No comments: