Thursday, January 15, 2009

For the Band Nerds!

Yes, I was a 7 year band nerd (2 middle school, 4 high school, 1 College). Mind you, for two of those years in HS I dropped out of band half way, sick of the directors. I think I was a moderately good player. When I would go to band camp I placed ok, chair-wise. Heck, at the UF camp, I placed 3rd out of like 30. Band was probably the best thing about my adolecent years.

Anyway, for years, something has stuck in my craw about band. When you take band as a class, you are automatically expected to play in the marching band. I suppose this may have just been my school, so perhaps other band nerds can correct me. Anyway, this always bugged me. Just because I wanted to play an instrument does NOT mean that I want to march. Or to have every friday night of the entire fall taken up. Or have after school practice either.

I mean, when I took math, I wasn't automatically put in the math club. Taking PE didn't force me on to the track team. But somehow taking band=march. Heck, quite a few of my fellow band mates could play decently, but could NOT march.

Mind you, I loved it. When we did penalty box (a kind of elimination round of marching, were people are 'out' when they mess up) I was generally one of the last men standing(usually along with my buddy Michael). And away games are pretty much where I was able to get around 1st 2nd and 3rd bases. Which reminds me, I really could do with an away game right now.

So it's not that it was a bad thing for me. I guess the principal of it bugs me is all.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, some BIG schools have orchestra classes along with marching band. They are not necessarily tied together. Then again, you don't see too many people out marching with violins or cellos...
I guess it's just a typical configuration for Fall vs Spring season. Fall=Football and Spring=Concert Band.
Now, how many bases did you round on those away games... ?

lessthan12parsecs said...

#1 Excellent job whoring your blog out on Facebook. You learned form the best ;)

B) Away game? Sounds like we need to make the Kessel...I mean Krystal run up to T-ville so you can play ball with a Gerogia peach!

3)I thought it was band geeks and chorus nerds?