Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Death to College kids!

God I hate college kids. And before you say anything about my age or generational issues, I hated them when I actually went to school 10+ years ago. They really haven't changed.

I should also clarify, and say that I hate UNIVERSITY kids. My experience with community college students has been, by and large a positive experience.

This rant is brought to you courtesy of St. Patrick’s day. The day we celebrate the patron saint of drunken fuckwads everywhere.

My office is near the FSU campus. On the way to work, kids were already mingling outside of a campus bar. By noon, you couldn’t drive anywhere near campus without having a constant stream of students who don’t know how to use crosswalks step in front of your car.

Now, this is a long standing issue I have with college kids, St Patties just makes it worse. It seems to me that these kids are so self absorbed that common decency and even the desire to not get run over, are gone. They don’t care about anyone around them. They don’t even look at traffic, so confident are they that no one would dare run them over. And they never pick up their slow pace. No matter how many cars they are holding up. Regardless of whether they are crossing when they should or not. They won’t walk faster, let alone jog out of the way.

I even witnessed, on a main road, a car stop so his buddy could walk over and talk to him. Not pull over. Not stopped at a light. Right in the middle of the road. Dozens of cars backing up behind them. And they don’t even look your way. You don’t exist. And they can’t be bothered to even give you a courtesy “Hey, sorry for holding you p” wave.

St Patties just makes it all worse. Now when they walk into traffic, they aren’t walking straight and are wearing bright green.

I really am looking forward to the day that I snap, so I can start killing these bastards.

6 comments:

E. Peterman said...

Ah, yes. St. Patrick's Day and the phenomenon of drunken frat types. (By the way, SPD revelry is pretty white, even by my standards.)

I think this is a particular kind of college student you're talking about: totally self-absorbed, oh-so amused by themselves, ready to tap the keg 24-7. Campus is their turf, so they act like morons. On the other hand, there are the ones who have some home training and act decently. They're just not as colorful as their asshole brethren — probably because they're somewhere studying or discussing Pynchon.

Sghoul said...

I would be curious to visit other campuses. I have always felt like FSU has an over abundance of party types.

Healthy Heather said...

Your blog is so cheery and bright, it just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling when I read it, like a big hug.

Okay, I concede your point. You should never, ever, ever go to Mardi Gras.

Sghoul said...

I don't think I can be in the same state as Mardi Gras. It would likely throw me into a rage so powerful that the level of pure hatred generated would bend time and space because of its sheer magnitude, allowing ancient horrors that long ago left our plane of being to once again roam the earth.

Healthy Heather said...

I kind of like it.

T.H. Elliott said...

How funny is it that I'm in New Orleans right now for work?

We went to Bourbon street last week, the night before we flew home. It was something I never want to do again. You walk bar to bar, it's crowded, noisy, and a bunch of college kids are there. Oh, and they charge you $6 for a beer. You could get a fucking six pack!

I will say though, there was a jazz bar we went into that was really cool. The music was awesome, and the band was great. Then these two guys came out in the 80's stretch leather and started singing stuff from the Four Tops and such.

So I guess, if you stay away from the street and know some good music spots, it's not bad. But the street is laid out like this: Bar, strip club, bar, music bar, strip club, bar, bar, bar, stripper?, bar.