Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Capitalism - The Market works!

I have long been a fan of capitalism. For the most part, I think most of societies ills can be fixed by the market. This of course is a point that many will argue. But I think that is because most don't REALLY know what the market entails. Heck, I don't fully grasp it.

Think about it like this: Your money is your vote. Don't like how Walmart operates? DON'T SHOP THERE. If you do, it is the same as having a politician you dislike and voting for him anyway. Wish McDonalds had healthier stuff on the menu? Tell them and QUIT EATING THERE. The latter has flat out worked. Sales dropped, consumers said it was from lack of teh healthy, McDonalds changed their menu.

Sadly, people don't get it. They either think (just like real politics) that their little voice means nothing. Worse, convenience and laziness easily overcome people's values.

And, just like politics, that is exactly what big businesses WANT you to feel. Walmart doesn't change because they know you are going to shop there anyway. No one listens to third party candidates because the sides know you won't 'throw your vote away'.

It saddens me when I think "You get the government/system you deserve". Very true....for the majority.

1 comment:

Lyza Lynne said...

I saw a cartoon in Readers' Digest last night that made me think of your political rants lately. It said "How can someone who blows a hundred million on a campaign be fiscally responsible?"